Formula One Heritage
The circuit was created in 1985 for a round of the FIA Formula One World Championship, bringing Grand Prix racing to Australia for the first time.
In its eleven-year history as a Grand Prix circuit, the Adelaide event was the scene of some of the most dramatic moments in motor sport...
- Keke Rosberg's win in the inaugural race
- Nigel Mansell's tyre blowing loss of the World Championship in 1986
- The rain-soaked victory of Thierry Boutsen in 1989
- Piquet's victory at the 500th Grand Prix in 1990 in front of former World Champions Fangio, Stewart, Hulme, Hunt and Brabham
- The shortest Grand Prix in history with 14 laps of 'ice-skating' in 1991 with victory to Senna
- The clash between Mansell and Senna taking both men out in 1992 with victory to Berger; Prost's last race in 1993
- The Hill-Schumacher clash in 1994 giving the World Championship to Schumacher and race victory to Mansell
- And the sell-out final Grand Prix in 1995 with victory going to Damon Hill are among the many highlights.
Awards & Recognition
Over its 20 plus years, the Adelaide 500 has been recognised as a leader among major festivals and events winning numerous awards.
In addition to winning numerous South Australian and Australian Tourism Awards, in 2005 the then named Clipsal 500 Adelaide was inducted to the V8 Supercars Australia 'Hall of Fame'. This was the first time an individual event has been granted this prestigious honour - it has previously been the domain of champion drivers.
To date the Adelaide has been awarded:
- V8 Supercars Australia - Promoter of the Year, 1999 - 2005 and 2011
- V8 Supercars Australia - Hall of Fame, 2005
- V8 Supercars Australia - Best Volunteer Group, 2016
- Australian Tourism Awards - Winner of Major Festivals and Events, 2003/2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008
- Australian Tourism Awards - Bronze award of Major Festivals & Events, 2013
- SA Tourism Awards - Winner of Major Festivals and Events, 2001 - 2008, 2013 - 2015
- SA Tourism Awards - Gold for Major Festivals and Events, 2011
- SA Tourism Awards - Silver for Major Festivals and Events, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2016
- SA Tourism Awards - Hall of Fame, 2003, 2007 and 2015.
Off Track Action & Entertainment
Entertainment is paramount at the Adelaide 500.
Another major component of the event is the air displays with top line military aircraft from the Australian Defence Force.
As a benefit of Adelaide's unique circuit with its combination of near downtown city streets and parkland areas, the atmosphere of the event flows over to adjacent entertainment precincts.
At Adelaide 500 time, Adelaide is a party town with street parties and other forms of entertainment, all of course with a motor sport flavour.
The totality of the Adelaide 500 is a week-long kaleidoscope of some 70 plus individual events including a luncheons, charity engagement, driver autograph sessions, exotic vehicle displays, sideshows, family activations, concert and much, much more.